Yoga ball has a lot of names under its belt. Some people call it a Swiss ball, exercise ball, gym ball, or even stability ball. But regardless of what you call it, these tools can really help you in achieving better health. With the use of gym balls, you are able to challenge yourself when it comes to balance and it will require more muscles to do certain routines and activities.
However, it is important that you choose the right size of the ball. This is is so you can maximize the tool and be able to see expected results.
How to choose the right gym ball
When you are sitting down on the gym ball, take note of the following:
- Both of your feet should be flat on the floor and that your weight is distributed properly.
- Your knees should be a bit lower than your pelvis (or at least at the same level). It should form a 90-degree angle.
- Your body should not be leaning on one side. This means your ears, shoulders, and pelvis must be in a vertical line.
A lot of people only refer to their height as the basis for getting the perfect gym ball. However, you must also consider your weight.
Assuming that your weight is proportional to your height, then you can follow the guidelines below. The left side represents the height and the right side corresponds to the diameter of the gym ball.
- 6’8″ and above/ 85cm
- 6’7″ – 6’3″/ 75cm
- 6’2″ – 5’9″/ 65cm
- 5’8″ – 5’1″/ 55cm
- 5’1″ and below/ 45cm
If your weight is slightly above average, the tendency is that you will compress the ball more. Thus, we advise that you get the next bigger gym ball. By doing so, you can still maintain that 90-degree requirement when sitting down. Also, bear in mind that you can adjust the air of your ball. Do so until it is according to your height and weight.
But you have to be careful in releasing the air. If you do so, you are making it flat and this makes it more stable. This means balancing exercises will be less effective.
Taking care of your gym ball
You wouldn’t want to invest in a quality gym ball and end up having a bad one after just a few days, would you? That is why we are also going to provide you with a number of tips on how you can take care of your gym ball.
- Make sure that the area where you keep your gym ball is free from any sharp object that can puncture it.
- Place it over a carpet or mat instead of just leaving it on a bare surface.
- Form a habit of cleaning your gym ball. We suggest that you use a vacuum so you can easily remove food crumbs and even small plant remains from the surface of your ball. However, do not use cleaning agents as it can cause more damage.
- Don’t allow small kids to play with it.
- Follow the manufacturer’s guide in inflating your ball. We recommend that you do it slowly.
Best gym balls in the market
Here are some of our top picks:
- URBNFit Exercise Ball for Fitness, Stability, Balance & Yoga
- Trideer Exercise Ball, Extra Thick Yoga Ball Chair, Anti-Burst Heavy Duty Stability Ball
- DYNAPRO Exercise Ball