Anal itch is actually common nevertheless, it is quite embarrassing. It’s an itch around your anus and more often than not, you will have that strong desire to scratch it. There are actually different reasons for having an anal itch. But if you think it has become a recurring problem, we recommend seeking professional help.
What are the symptoms of anal itching?
Apart from the itching, you might experience the following:
- burning sensation
What could be the possible reasons for anal itch?
Perhaps you already have an existing skin condition like psoriasis. This can be a trigger for anal itching.
Did you know that certain medical conditions can also cause anal itching? We are talking about diabetes, hemorrhoids, and even anal tumors.
If you must know, long term chronic diarrhea can actually result in skin irritation.
In addition, certain products can be harsh to your skin. Check your soaps and wipes and see if it is gentle enough for your skin.
Did you know that drinking too much coffee has been linked to anal itching? Other foods and drinks which can contribute to the condition are the following:
- spicy foods
Do you need to see a doctor?
Generally, an anal itch will not require you to visit a doctor. But again, if the condition comes back regularly, then you will have to set an appointment. Below are other reasons why you need to see a professional.
- The anal itch seems severe
- You have stool leakage
- You have no idea what’s the reason for your anal itch
- You have anal bleeding
How do you cure anal itching?
- First, don’t scratch it even if you have the strong urge to do so. That might lead to infection and it would be harder to cure.
- Make sure that you clean it gently. Never ever rub it.
- Instead of toilet paper, make it a habit to use moist wipes after using the restroom.
- There are also over-the-counter products but it would be best to consult your doctor to make sure you are not allergic to those.
Anal health care
We understand that this isn’t a topic that most people would cover. However, we also know that anal health is important. And that is why we are going to provide you with practical tips on how to take care of it.
- If you are to dry your anus, make sure you use a clean soft towel. Pat it dry and again, don’t rub it.
- Always choose loose clothing or cotton undergarments.
- Take fiber supplements.
- Choose soaps without fragrances and artificial dyes.
Here is a quick list of the best gentle soaps available in the market:
- Basis sensitive skin bar
- The Yellow Bird soap bar
- Castile soap liquid
If you have other ideas on how to manage anal itching, it would be great if you share it with us. No need to be embarrassed. The more that you hide it, the more that it will get worse.