Carpal tunnel syndrome is a painful condition and a lot of people suffer from it. Apart from the pain, other symptoms are tingling and numbing of fingers. Often times, people who are using the computer are affected by this. So if you are working in the office, always in front of your computer, and your hands and fingers start the feel odd, then read this article because you might be experiencing the early signs of carpal tunnel syndrome.
What to do if you have carpal tunnel syndrome?
Find a quality ergonomic keyboard
It’s good that a lot of manufacturers understand the dilemma of regularly using a traditional keyboard. Thus, they created special kinds which can make typing easier and will not put too much strain on the wrist and hands. Here are some of our recommendations:
- Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
- Adesso PCK-208B – Tru-Form Media Contoured Ergonomic Keyboard
- Kinesis Freestyle2 Ergonomic Keyboard w/ VIP3 Lifters for Mac
Get yourself your own wrist splint
If you often feel the pain, then maybe getting a wrist splint is your solution. You can visit the nearest pharmacy and ask for a good one. As for our team, we suggest that you get these.
- BraceUP Adjustable Wrist Support
- Mueller Adjustable Wrist Brace W/Splint (300)
- Wellgate for Women PerfectFit Wrist Support
- Wrist Brace by Vive
- Copper Compression Arthritis Gloves
Try not to sleep heavily on your side
Make sure that when you are sleeping, your wrist is not under you. If that happens and you wake up with numb hands, shake them right away. And then massage it gently for proper blood circulation.
What are the foods beneficial for this condition?
Choosing the right food can also help in managing the carpal tunnel syndrome. Here are a few options that you can choose from. Make sure to include most of these into your next grocery shopping:
Foods rich in vitamin B6
- lean meat
- green vegetables
- fresh and dried fruits
- brown rice
- extra virgin olive oil
And of course, always drink enough water. If you still don’t have a tumbler in your office, then it’s time to get one. We suggest having a nice or cute tumbler that will push you to drink more.
What should you avoid?
- Try not to cook your food with a lot of sodium-based salt. Instead, opt for magnesium-based sea salt.
- Avoid foods high in monosodium glutamate (MSG). This is often seen in Chinese takeouts and Japanese food.
How can you take care of your wrist?
- Make it a point to take a break every hour.
- Use Vitamin E lotion and regularly massage your hands and wrists.
- Watch your posture, most especially when you are working.
- Have a small stress-reliever toy which you can use to exercise.
- Drop your hands and shake it every time you rest.
If the pain is severe, we suggest that you set an appointment with your doctor.
For those who suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome, please share with us your experience.