Come to think of it, most of us would spend hours in the gym to improve the looks of our body. But have you ever considered spending few minutes to exercise your brain? It is equally important but obviously neglected. Remember, you still have to do exercises, specifically to improve your mental health. Believe us, it will boost your performance at work. It will even improve your life in general.
So where do you start?
Keep on reading and learn more.
What are the benefits of exercising your brain?
Before we give you a list of the best exercises for your brain, let’s talk about the benefits of doing it.
- You get to have a sharper vision and hearing.
- You tend to be more creative.
- Your memory will be better.
- You feel less stressed.
- It also adds to one’s confidence.
- You will have a more positive outlook in life.
Best exercises for your brain
You are probably excited to know the different activities that can enhance your brain. The hint: it’s almost like a game and that’s even more fun!
- Explore new things like trying to learn how to play a musical instrument or a new language.
- Take a different route going home.
- Brush your teeth using the opposite hand.
- Play Sudoku or crossword puzzles.
- List the things you need to do for the day. Memorize it and recall after an hour.
- Enroll in a cooking class so that you can stimulate multiple senses.
- Try to mentally calculate numbers.
- Start reading books and also create your own story. How about changing the plot in your head?
- Do simple tasks with your eyes closed. We don’t mean that you have to chop vegetables blindfolded. It can be when you are taking a shower or folding some clothes.
- When eating at a restaurant, try to identify the ingredients used for your meal.
- Engage yourself in sports that will allow you to use both your body and brain.
- If you are not used to eating with chopsticks, then this is the perfect time to do so.
- Refrain from relying on technology. If you need to look for a definition, get the dictionary. Or if you want to learn more things, visit the library and drown yourself in volumes of an encyclopedia.
- Try to expand your network from different fields. This allows you to have more friends while learning new things from them. Don’t forget to share your knowledge too.
- Learn how to meditate.
Foods to eat if you want to improve your mental health
Also, you need to watch what you eat. There are certain foods that can help your brain reach its optimum health.
If you love blueberries, then we have some good news for you. The antioxidants of the berries are said to delay short-term memory loss.
Samples of fatty fish are sardines, trout, and salmon. These are great sources of omega-3 fatty acids. If you must know, our brain uses omega-3 to build the nerve cells and these are important for keeping a sharp memory. No wonder that people with Alzheimer’s are encouraged to eat fatty fish too.
And here is another quick list to guide you:
- Pumpkin seed
- Dark chocolates
If you really want to improve your mental health, you need to be disciplined. Stay away from vices, exercise your brain, and choose good food.