While it is hard to keep a relationship burning as intensely as it first started, you don’t have to stay settled in a relationship plateau. Reignite that spark by exploring something new with your other half, such as partner yoga!
Partner yoga not only helps to improve both of your health, it also brings you and your partner closer to each other through intimate movements, breath, and patience.
Trust and interdependence
Build trust through partner yoga, and create a dependency between you and your lover. You have to be considerate for one another during this activity, and also believe in each other to persevere and not give up easily. While you’re having fun and sweating it out, your love for each other strengthens!
If it hasn’t been long since you and your partner got together, partner yoga is perfect for the both of you because it helps to break down boundaries and bring the two hearts closer than before. Skinship is inevitable during partner yoga, and the best part is that the activity makes it feel so natural and healthy. The sense of touch is vital in every relationship, and partner yoga heightens the physical awareness between partners, allowing for a deeper sense of bonding.
Constantly in a tensed situation at work? Partner yoga helps both of you to unwind and enjoy each other’s company as you live in the moment of fun. Laugh away while you attempt the challenging poses, and allow the love between you and your partner to wash away the fatigue and stress you’ve been withholding.
To tap into the benefits of partner yoga, you can begin by trying out these simple poses!
1. Back to back breathing exercise
- You and your partner should sit down cross-legged, and lean on each other’s back comfortably
- Make sure that both of you are sitting in a tall and upright position
- Stretch your arms backward, wrapping around the sides of your partner as you rest your palms on your partner’s upper thigh. Have your partner do the same.
- Begin to breathe in alternate sequence to your partner. That means, while you inhale, he/she should exhale, vice versa.
- Do this for about 3-5 minutes.
2. Partner twist
- Begin with the same starting position as the back to back breathing exercise.
- You and your partner should inhale and straighten your arms above your head.
- In a clockwise motion, twist your upper body to the right, bringing your right hand to the inside of your partner’s left knee and rest your left hand on the outside of your right knee.
- Have your partner mirror the movement.
- Hold for 5 breaths, then repeat on the other side.
3. Partner forward fold
- Sit opposite your partner. Facing each other, try to go into a split position, opening your legs as wide as possible.
- Have both of your feet touch each other, while you guys reach for each other’s arms. Shift the hand position such that both of you are holding onto each other’s forearm.
- Starting with you, inhale and stretch your spine upwards.
- As you exhale, fold forward from your hips and lean towards your partner while keeping your back straight. Have your partner lean slightly backward to help stretch you further. Both your arms should be straight.
- Hold for about 5 seconds before resuming to the original position.
- Have your partner do the forward fold now.
- Both of you can repeat this for about 5 times each.
4. Bound double boat
- Sit down while facing each other.
- Bend your knees to your chest and reach for your partner’s hand.
- Both you and your partner should raise the upper legs so that the soles of your feet meet.
- Keeping your back straight and your chest opened, both of you should attempt to straighten your legs. Make sure none of you let go of each other’s hands.
- Hold in the position for about 10 seconds.
- Slowly lower your legs and let go of your hands to recover.
5. Downward dog handstand pike
- Have your partner go into a push-up position, with both arms straightened. Bend at the hips and go into a pyramid position. Ensure that the legs, arms, and back are completely straight. Balance the body weight on both palms and heels for stability.
- Stand in front of your partner, with your feet at the sides of their palms. Your back should be facing your partner.
- Bend forward until both your palms are on the floor.
- Transfer your body weight to your palms as you lift one leg up to position your toes on your partner’s tailbone area. Once you’ve found your balance, lift the other leg and go into the same position.
- At this point, ensure that your legs, arms, and back are straightened and that your hips are bent at a 90 degrees angle.
- Both of you should stay in this position up to 10 breaths.
- Dismount by stepping down one foot at a time.
Have fun with your partner this weekend by practicing these yoga poses! Once you guys mastered these poses, you may attempt more challenging ones such as the Flying Warrior, Downward Dog Camel and Double Goddess!
Cover Image: Pinterest