Love handles refer to the fats sitting on the side of the abdominal area. They affect the way your pants fit and alter your silhouette when wearing a tight-fitting dress. Love handles are not easy to shed because typical ab workouts fail to effectively burn the fats away.
Photo: KUMPULAN MEDIA KARANGKRAF
Learn the exercises that are effective at ridding your love handles! Do the following routine 3 times, for 3-4 days a week.
Photo: Health and Trend
This exercise works the obliques (the area under the love handles) and upper abs, and can be conveniently done in the comfort of your home as it does not require much space. In order to do this exercise, you will need a 2.30kg to 4.50kg dumbbell or medicine ball.
- Stand with your feet about shoulder-width apart. Keep your hips squared.
- Sink into a half squat, and twist your upper torso to the left, holding the dumbbell on the outside of your left leg.
- Exhale as you raise the weight up and swing it diagonally across your body in a controlled manner. You should end with your upper body twisted to the right and the dumbbell raised above your head.
- You can pivot your feet to aid you in the twist.
- Slowly bring the weight back to the start position.
- Repeat this 20 times on each side, for 2 reps.
2. Russian Twists
Photo: Get Healthy U
Targetting the abdominals, obliques and lower back, this exercise is simple and effective at burning the fats of your love handles. You’ll need a dumbbell for this exercise.
- Sit down on the floor, and bend your knees such that your feet is flat on the ground.
- Hold a dumbbell with both hands, and lean your upper torso backward for about 45 degrees angle.
- Lift your feet off the ground, and have them crossed at the ankles. Balance your weight using your butt.
- Twist your torso to the right, and touch the ground next to your body with the dumbbell.
- Continue to twist to the left, once again touching the ground with the dumbbell.
- Repeat 50 times.
3. Side Plank Hip Lifts
This simple exercise targets the obliques specifically, toning the area. It does not require any types of equipment and can be done anywhere at home.
- Lie down on your side, and prop yourself up with your right elbow, supporting your weight with the side of your right foot.
- Lift your hips away from the ground. You should be able to form a straight line from your shoulders, to your hips and ankles. Hold for 3 seconds.
- Thereafter, slowly lower your hip to the floor.
- Repeat this 15 times on each side.
4. Bicycle Crunches
A great exercise to build up your abdominal strength as well as tone your thighs, you’ll definitely feel your muscles aching after this workout!
- Lie down on your back, ensuring there is minimal space between your back and the ground.
- Put your hands behind your head (don’t clasp your hands together) and bend your knees towards your chest.
- Work your abs by lifting your shoulder blades and upper back off the ground without straining your neck.
- Straighten your right leg out without letting it touch the ground while twisting your upper body to the left, bringing your right elbow to your left (bent) knee. Make sure you engage your upper body during the twist instead of just using your elbow.
- Resume to starting position and repeat the exercise on the other side.
- Do this 30 times.
Similar to losing fats in any other parts of the body, it is important that you watch your diet on top of regular workouts. Avoid processed food and foods that are high in fats, eat lean meat. Keep to the routine above diligently and you’ll be sure to see improvements in your love handles!
Cover Image: 4.bp.blogspot.com